Thursday, January 15, 2015

9 Things I Will Be Today

Today is Thursday, January 15, 2015. It's National Hat Day and National Strawberry Ice Cream Day (as if I needed an excuse...). On this day in history: Nixon halted military action against North Vietnam, the Packers beat the Chiefs in the first ever Super Bowl (wonder what the commercials were like), and Martin Luther King Jr. was born.

So today is pretty cool already. And while I can't really compete with the ending of a war or the birth of a civil rights activist, I am determined to be some awesome things today. Why? Because it's Thursday, January 15, and I can be awesome if I want to be.

Here's what I will be today:

1) A Dinosaur
Not that this really needs an explanation, but here it is. My daughter is obsessed with dinosaurs. She likes horses and dolls too, don't get me wrong, but she cuddles with little plastic figurines of dinos all night and cries if they fall out of bed. So today, I'll play dinosaurs with her.

2) A Maid
As with any day, I have some cleaning to do. Laundry, dishes, the dreaded litter boxes (why do we have cats again? Oh yeah, they sleep on our feet at night. Worth it.).

3) A Chef
The little people in my house like to eat, and by eat, I mean ask for food and then throw it at the wall. Regardless, I will cook food and give it to them.

4) A Teacher
My kids will ask me questions, mostly the question "Why?" To which I will need to supply an answer. Like, right now. From the top of my head. Because I'm a mom and therefore know everything about the universe. But besides that, I will also teach them to be patient with one another, to take a moment and try understand each other, to remember that they are siblings and that one day, they will only have each other. I will teach my kids to love, no matter what.

5) Angry
Speaking of #4, I will most likely lose my cool at least once today. I will probably yell. I will definitely regret it. Then I will talk to my children and explain to them what happened and how it wasn't okay for me to react that way. I will be more judicious to my emotions and the actions they result in.

6) A Student
I will learn a lot today about myself and my children, about the world around me and about the people that inhabit it. I will keep an open mind, refuse to dabble in the nonessential clutter in our media and use my powerful heart and brain for the greater good.

7) Beautiful (but a bit stinky)
I decided to forgo the shower this morning. The alarm went off and my flannel sheets, soft jammies and heated blanket simply said "not today." However, I refuse to allow the disheveled reflection in the mirror to make me feel like less of a human. I am beautiful, shower or not, and will not let shampoo or mascara determine my self worth.

8) Kind
I will smile at strangers. I will hold doors open. I will use a gentle voice of encouragement and patience when my toddler wants to do something by herself. I will not judge. I will listen. I will smile.

9) Happy
When I crawl into bed tonight, I will count my blessings: my babies, the food in our bellies, the roof over our heads, the fact that we are all healthy and together. These are the things I will be most thankful for.

What I won't be...
Perfect.
I refuse to hold myself to this standard. I am not perfect. Never have been. Never want to be. I will own my flaws and imperfections. I will own my place in this world and life and make the best out of it for every single second that I can. I will be me and I will love it.

The possibilities are endless. What do you want to be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment